The Voter Education, Registration, and Action (VERA) campaign of 2016 is a non-partisan effort designed for adult learners and program staff in the New England states. Its goal is to educate adult learners about voting and current election issues, and mobilize them to vote in the 2016 elections. VERA is sponsored by the New England Literacy Resource Center (NELRC) at World Education.
New for 2016!
Joining VERA 2016 provides access to the best voter education resources we have culled over the years, as well as a brand new online voter guide developed from adult students' questions! In June, candidates are being invited to respond to our questions, and the guide will be available here at the end of September.
Why should you join VERA?
- Our lives are directly affected by who is elected. The people we elect make the laws we have to live by.
- Voting is one of our most basic civil rights and responsibilities.
- The elections are a teachable moment to study representative democracy and explore civic participation.
What does it involve?
Joining VERA means making a program or class commitment to:
- teach about representative democracy, voting, and topical election issues;
- encourage and help eligible students and staff register to vote, get to the polls, and vote;
- encourage non-eligible students to talk to family members and friends who can vote;
- participate in a regional mock election;
- report (to the best of your ability) how many students registered, voted, and how many voted for the first time. See the final reporting form contents.
What kind of support is provided?
- We have a host of teaching resources, including the new online voter guide based on questions from adult students.
- Fall workshops are available for your state.
- Numbers we compile will provide state and regional data that you can use to show elected officials that we vote!
Join adult educators from across all six New England states help adult learners exercise their voice and choice inside and outside of the classroom. Recruit your colleagues! With your help, we can build a more participatory democracy!